The Cursed Lovers「呪われし恋人たち Norowareshi Koibito-tachi」 is the ninth episode of Season 3 of the The Seven Deadly Sins anime.
Reunited once again, the Seven Deadly Sins gather at the Boar Hat to celebrate but Merlin can not quite enjoy the event due to Arthur was missing in the now invaded Camelot. When Merlin collapses for a curse cast by a grudgeful Zeldris, Elizabeth tries to heal her only to discover from the Commandment of Piety her true indentity and her the secret of her relation with Meliodas.
A familiar of Merlin's searches the demon-occupied Camelot for Arthur but it is found by Zeldris, who shoot a curse at Merlin through the familiar.
Merlin recovers enough to attend the party celebrating the seven Sins reuniting before anyone looks for her but leaves soon afterwards, tired. Diane asks how Gowther's creator ended the Holy War, as the general idea was that the Goddess Clan sacrified themselves to seal the Demon Clan, but Gowther refuses to answer, saddened. Diane has told Elizabeth there was a Goddess who looked just like her with Meliodas 3,000 years ago. Elizabeth remembers Cain saying there was an Elizabeth (Liz) at Danafor that was also Meliodas' lover.
Meliodas helps Merlin walk to a bed as she nearly collapses from the side effects, guessing Zeldris ambushed her. She tells Meliodas she can not lose Arthur, while Escanor eavesdrop behind the room's door.
Elizabeth asks Meliodas about the coincidences with her namesakes but Meliodas does not answer.
Merlin is feverish the next morning and when Elizabeth tries to heal her, she telepathically meets Zeldris. Zeldris calls Elizabeth a cursed goddess that is still torturing Meliodas. She has been dying, losing the memories of her past life, reincarnating, and meeting Meliodas - and has done that dozens of times already. The Elizabeth of the present day is the Goddess Elizabeth from 3,000 years ago. Elizabeth is happy as that means she has always been with Meliodas but Zeldris says she has been torturing him and forcibly returns her memories of her past lives so she can see how sinful she has been. Merlin wakes, recovered. Elizabeth leaves to get some air alone, pleased she can remember her time with him.
Elizabeth becomes entangled in the memories of her past lives, shouting about tragedies that happened millennia ago. Her eyes glow orange, Goddess eyes, and then she collapses.
In despair, Meliodas tells the others if all her memories return, she will die in three days.
Characters in Order of AppearanceEdit
- Hawk Mama
- Elizabeth Liones
- Cain Barzad (flashback)
- Arthur Pendragon (fantasy)
- Elizabeth (Goddess)(flashback)
- Bartra Liones
- Margaret Liones
- The scene where Elaine can sense that Elizabeth and Diane are coming to see her is omitted in the anime.
- In the anime, Howzer and Griamore are not present at the bar.
- In the manga, Gowther uses Invasion to know how King really feels, while in the anime, King himself mumbles it out.
- In the manga, Merlin receives more damage from Zeldris' attack than in the anime.
- In the manga, after Elizabeth leaves Meliodas on the hill, Ban and King appear, while in the anime they don't.
- In the anime, Hendrickson's initial efforts to dispell the curse on Merlin are not shown.
- In the anime, Margaret leaving the castle is not shown.
- In the anime, when the Seven Deadly Sins are leaving, there are several differences:
- Diane, Gowther and Escanor are wearing their regular clothes, while in the manga, all of them are wearing their armors.
- Diane is in small form, instead of Giant form.
- The Sins are on the lower tray of the Boar Hat with the tree, instead on the roof.
- All the details of their next mission (albeit in a brief manner) are discussed after Meliodas tells his story, instead of before.
- A scene of Elaine talking with Helbram is omitted.
- For just one scene, King suddenly is wearing his regular clothes instead of his armor.